The Lanka Education and Research Network (LEARN) is the National Research and Education Network (NREN) in Sri Lanka. We interconnect universities, other higher education institutes, and research institutes in Sri Lanka and provide networking related services to them. We are a company limited by guarantee (association) registered under the companies act of Sri Lanka.
Applications are hereby invited from citizens of Sri Lanka for the following post in our office located in University of Peradeniya.
Responsible for all technical tasks of LEARN cloud infrastructure proposed to build on open hardware by the use of open source softwares and tools. It should provide server hosting, disaster recovery and HPC computing needs of LEARN member institutions.
The position is initially probationary basis and will be considered permanency based on performance.
a). A bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering / Telecommunication Engineering / Electrical and Electronic Engineering / Computer Science (4 years degree) and 3 years of proven experience (after graduation) in industrial level production cloud environment
Relevant professional qualifications or postgraduate studies would be an advantage.
Engineer who has interested in working on following areas
- Implementation of storage and compute node clusters by an open source cloud stack on new hardware to bring it to the state that services to LEARN members and could be provisioned in a high availability platform.
- Implementation of virtual networks and security platform needed for sets of institutional virtual machines.
- Introducing and system administration of application services like identity directory, remote drive, event/meeting/learning management, text/voice/video communication, etc. as services.
- Close monitoring of the entire system to do necessary maintenance and upgrades. Optimize and continually improve all aspects of services, systems, and solutions. Scripting/programming for implementation of non built-in features that may required in LEARN could service.
- Implement and maintain proactive monitoring systems to support troubleshooting and drive optimization
- Assist with the development and maintenance of automation, repeatable processes, and configuration management
- Troubleshoot efficiently by identifying locations of interest in full stack environment and bring together the necessary resources to resolve an issue or crisis.
- Reporting status of system utilization periodically and scaling of the system when required to provide additional capacity.
- Administer LDAP user accounts and SAML based authentication to enforce security of user accounts
- Assure data security and integrity, by taking the steps to secure configurations, document why we need these configurations, and document how these configurations work
- Ensure consistent up-time and performance by making a best effort to be clear and concise through repeatable processes
- Provisioning of services to the customers according to LEARN directives and assist/interact with customers to get their services up and running.
- Off-hours emergency and on-call support
- Design and implement test systems for proof of concept or experimentation to stay engaged with new developments
- Training of junior engineers to be capable of performing above duties
- ability to work after normal working hours when required and in case of critical issues
- concern on security failures of the network and its services on 24/7 basis
- actively handling customer requests while friendly supporting them
- ability to scripting (PHP, Perl, Python, etc)
- ability and willing to teach/share knowledge and experience
- organizing training/workshop, conference etc.
- participating in local and over seas training/workshops
- willingness to stay long time with the organization
- ability to stay around Peradeniya
Salary: Negotiable based on qualifications and experience
Other benefits: Local and over seas training. Well organized career path within the organization. Opportunity and support to engage in research/postgraduate studies on network technologies.
Applications including a resume with the contact details of two non-related referees, copies of certificates for proof of qualifications and experience, and copies of other related documents should be sent by registered post to reach the undersigned. Apply soon, no closing date, available until a right person was selected.
Head of LEARN
Lanka Education and Research Network
Information Technology Center
University of Peradeniya